Partnership for Children of Essex
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
A Pathway for Hope



Mental Health Self-Help and Support


Comfort Zone provides mutual support for people suffering from depression and manic-depression.  Meets the 2nd and 4th Fri., noon-1:30pm, Mental Health Association of Essex County,33 South Fullerton Ave, Montclair.  Call Mary Ann Foster-King (973) 509-9777.


DBSA (Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance) Mutual Support and sharing of information for individuals diagnosed with depression or bipolar disorder.  Family members welcome.  Rap sessions, guest speakers, educational programs, literature, phone help and e-mail.

  • Montclair Meets Mon., and Thurs., 7:15-9pm, First Congregational Church, 40 South Fullerton Ave. (Crescent Street entrance).  Call Margo Atwell (973) 744-5230 or Tom B. (201) 998-5751.
  • Newark Meets Fri., 7-8:30 pm, UMDNJ, Behavioral Health Sciences Building, Conference Room, Level B, 183 South Orange Ave.  Call Kevin (973) 848-1859.

 POKIBID (Parents of Kids with Bipolar Disorder) Support for parents with Bipolar children up to the age of 18.  For meeting information call Amy (908) 522-0369


East Essex Self Help Center (Formerly known as Pleasant Moments Self Help Center)  Consumer-run self help center offers support discussions, computers, speakers, socializing, self-help groups for mental health consumers.  Open Mon., Tues., Wed., 4-7:30 pm, East Essex Self Help Center, 570 Belleville Ave., (entrance on Franklin Ave.), Belleville.  Call Judy (973) 450-0347.


Thursdays Professionally-run.  Drop-in center that provides mutual support for mental health care consumers.  Opportunity to socialize.  Rap sessions, trips, and guest speakers.  Meets Thurs., 7-9pm, MHA of Essex, 33 South Fullerton Ave., Montclair.  Call Judy Fiedrer (973) 509-9777.


Where Peaceful Waters Flow Consumer-run self-help center that offers support and advocacy for mental health consumers.  Provides resources, socialization, rap sessions, recreational activities, leisure and phone help.  Open Mon., Tues., Wed. and Thurs., 4-7pm; Sat., 10 am-3pm, Where Peaceful Waters Flow, 3-5 Vose Ave., 2nd floor, South Orange.  Call (973) 762-7469.

Family Self-Help & Support

Family Support Organization of Essex County-run by families of children with emotional and/or behavioral challenges.  Provides intensive face to face support, education and advocacy to families.  Appointments can be made by contacting the Executive Director at 60 Evergreen Place ( Suite 410), East Orange or by calling (973) 395-1441 for more information.


Family Resource Center (FRC) Professionally-run.  Support for family members and/or significant others of persons with chronic mental/emotional illness.  Groups for parents of adults with mental illness.  Groups for siblings and adult offspring meet on a time limited basis.  Children and adolescents who have a mentally ill family member attend Kids Cope in age appropriate groups.  Meet various times and days.  Call the Mental Health Association of Essex County (973) 509-9777.


NAMI Advocacy and support for family and friends of the mentally ill.  Meets 4th Mon., 7:30pm, 33 S. Fullerton Ave., Montclair.  Call Marvin Gorsky (973) 509-9777.


Parenting Self-Help & Support


Parent’s Anonymous  Professionally-Run.  Self-help for parents who are under stress and who want to improve their relationships with their children.  Call Parents Anonymous 1-800-843-5437

East Orange Meets Thurs., 10am-noon, East Orange Child Development Center, 106 Washington Street.  Call Doreen (973) 676-1110

Newark Meets Thurs., 1-2:30pm, Choices, Inc., 169 Roseville Ave. Child Care Available.  Call Juanita (973) 481-1889 (day)


Parents Anonymous (Grandparents Group) Professionally-run.  Self-help for grandparents who are under stress and want to improve their relationships with their grandchildren.  Meets Thurs., noon-2pm, East Orange Child Development Center, 42 Chestnut Street, East Orange.  Call Ms. Rutledge (973) 676-1110 or Parents Anonymous 1-800-843-5437.


Domestic Violence


Babyland Family Services, Inc.  Professionally-run.  Support for women who have been in abusive relationships.  Aim is to educate, liberate and empower domestic violence victims and survivors.  24 hour shelter and hotline.  Pre-requisite requirements.  Men’s PEACE group ($2 fee).  Meets at various locations throughout Essex County.  Call (973) 484-4446 (24hr. /7days).

Addictions Self-Help & Support

Alcoholics Anonymous (BILINGUAL) 12 Step.  Fellowship of men and women who share their experiences, strength, and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.   Young people’s groups also available.  Call (908) 697-8566 or 1-800-245-1377; Spanish-speaking (973) 824-0555.  Website:

 Al-Anon  Family Groups 12 Step.  Fellowship of families and friends of alcoholics.  Offers comfort, hope, and friendship through shared experiences.  Includes groups for children and adult children.  Call Al-Anon Information Service (972) 744-8686 (day).  Also Spanish group in Newark.  Call (973) 483-8115 (day).


Double Trouble  Support for persons in dual recovery from a mental illness and a substance or alcohol addiction.  Meets Mon., 5-6pm, Where Peaceful Waters Flow, 3-5 Vose Ave., 2nd floor., South Orange.  Call Jacqualine Bankston (973) 762-7469.


Narcotics Anonymous 12 Step.  Fellowship of men and women seeking recovery from drug addiction.  The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using drugs.  Call (732) 933-0462.  Website:


Parents Support Group  Professionally-run.  Confidential support group for parents of a chemically dependent child (age 13-40+) Meets Wed., 6pm, Thurs., 7pm, St Cloud Presbyterian Church, Old Indian Road and Ridgeway Ave., West Orange.  Call Karol Sullivan (973) 736-3344 (9am-2pm) or 1-800-561-4299 (24 hour hotline)


For more information…

This is a basic list of some local available resources for self-help and support.  If you need more information, please either

Ø      speak to your Care Manager for specific resources to meet your needs or

Ø      call the Self-Help Clearinghouse at 1-800-FOR-MASH.